Faith Dwight is not for everyone.

February 22, 2017

Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and have a little chat with my 16-year-old self. I love that girl. She was smart and talented and creative. But bless her heart, her confidence was at rock-bottom.

She was so desperate to be liked, to be cool, to belong.

And if I could talk to her, here’s what I’d say:

You are going to have a fun life. You’re going to go on some incredible adventures. A lot of things you’re afraid of (like getting your heart broken) will happen. And a lot of things you dream of (like falling in love with a handsome Englishman and having a beautiful family) will happen, too.

And here’s what else I’d tell her: You are enough. The truth is, not everyone is going to like you, but that is no reason at all to not be who you really are. Because the ones who do like you? They are going to love you.

I have this little mantra I repeat to myself sometimes when I’m afraid of putting myself out there. When I’m about to post something vulnerable on the internet, or when I picture imaginary mean people saying I’m dumb and deluded for thinking I’m capable of anything significant or good.

It goes like this:

Faith Dwight is not for everyone, and that’s okay.

It’s a piece of knowledge that’s not only vital in my personal life, but in my business life as well. Some people do not like me. (I don’t know why, because I’m awesome, but whatever.) Not everyone is going to love my work, or connect to the way I run my business.

But the people who do – those are the guys I really want to work with.Because when a client sees who you are, and chooses you because of it…gosh, that is something special right there. Those are the people who are going to value what you do and respect you and trust you.

I wish I could tell 16-year-old Faith the same thing, so she wouldn’t waste the next 10 years of her life trying to please everyone out of fear of offending anyone, or being misunderstood, or whatever.

But you know who I CAN tell?

YOU.

Listen to me, okay?

Here’s the bad news: Not everyone is going to like you.

But some people – they are really going to love you. Everything about you that you’ve ever worried was weird or odd or out-of-place…to those people, those are going to be the things that make them fall in love with you.

So stop hiding yourself away. Do those things that make you happy, that make you YOU.

And repeat after me:

“(Insert your name here) is not for everyone, and that’s okay.”

11 responses to “Faith Dwight is not for everyone.”

1. Joanna says:

I just saw your insta story and came straight over. I love your blog and I loved reading this. It reminds me of a local mama on instagram (Kemi Kids). I want to say more but this afternoon and bedtime with the girls was pretty wild so I need to lay down in dark room. Thank you for sharing this.

2. Faith says:

Thank you for this; I genuinely needed to read it today and I’m so glad I did. And from one Faith to another, I think you seem pretty awesome.

3. Charlie says:

Being your uncle and all, I am biased…but you ARE AWSOME!

4. Kat fawcett says:

Hello Faith! This blog and your picture just popped up on my fab news feed. It so good to hear how your doing, it has been a very long time since our Scarborough days but it was a very pleasant suprise to see you.

With love Kat- no worries if u don’t remember me 😊

5. Greta says:

My very good friend Rebekah once said to me as I was sobbing to her in her car that I thought I was too much for people, β€œGreta, you probably are too much for some people, but that is their loss, not yours.” It was perhaps the most empowering thing anyone has ever said to me and reflects your sentiments here. Good one, Faith. Xx

6. Such a great word, Faith! I feel like your insights are on fire lately, from my humble Instagram vantage point. I totally agree, I often wish I could go back and talk to my 13 or 16 year old self and encourage her. And you know what? I feel like this message is still such an important reminder to me now at 35! πŸ˜„Not everyone is going to get me or love me, and that ok. ❀ Great job, and I’m continually inspired by your beautiful work. I hope we can have a coffee or tea one day if I’m able to move to England. Am coming back for a trip next month – yay!

7. santhini says:

So glad to read this right now … I thought I was going to hit rock bottom again today but not now, after reading this. I travelled 800kms to meet a friend I thought mattered and who didn’t turn up even to say a hi. Imagine feeling worthless. I guess we can never expect from people what we give them.