One year ago, I made five predictions about what 2009 might hold. I thought now would be a good time to look back at those predictions and see if maybe I should pursue a career in fortune telling.
1. I predict I’ll be able to run 5 miles without dying by March.
How’s 2.5? Close enough.
2. I predict I’ll be pregnant with our first child by December, no matter what Simon says.
Nope. Due to various unexpected life happenings in 2009 (my being laid off, moving to England, etc) we’ve pushed this back a bit. That’s the way life goes, I suppose.
3. I predict there will be two more rounds of layoffs at the News and Observer, and I’ll narrowly escape both of them.
I’m not going to say anything. I’m just going to post this link.
4. I predict a North Carolina team will win the NCAA Basketball Championships – again.
5. I predict poodle perms will make an unexpected comeback during NY Fashion week.
While many designers channeled the 80s with strong shoulders like these, no poodle perms were seen. Oh well…maybe this year.
So, the final tally is one out of five, and the one I got was a no-brainer. (Hello, North Carolina is a basketball powerhouse.) I’m no Nostradamus – I thought I knew what 2009 was going to look like and, in truth, I had no idea. The things I predicted didn’t happen, and things I didn’t think would happen – getting laid off, living with friends for six months, moving back to England – did. It just goes to show you how little we know, and how much better off we are not knowing. Life is full of surprises and I, for one, like it that way.
That said, I’ve decided to take another jab at making predictions and throw out some guesses for 2010. I’m probably completely wrong, but it’s fun and, if you ask me, that’s a good enough reason for doing quite a lot of things.
My Predictions for 2010
1. I will be pregnant with out first child by December (hey, at this point, I’m just playing my numbers).
2. Simon will get an amazing job where people love him and he feels like all his knowledge and experience is being put to use. I believe in the power of positive words!
3. Five of our friends from North Carolina will come and visit. Ahem. Don’t make me a liar, y’all.
4. A North Carolina team will win the NCAA Championships. Yawn.
5. England will have the hottest summer on record, with weeks of uninterrupted sunshine. I told y’all, power of positive words.
What are your predictions for the coming year? Write them in the comments, or blog about them and post a link in the comments section.