Telephonic Frustration

July 27, 2011

Dear Adlai,

I apologize in advance for the thousands of telephone conversations you will have in your lifetime that will go very similarly to the one I had with the doctor’s office this morning.

Receptionist: Hello, Dr. _____’s office.

Me: Hi, I’d like to make an appointment for my baby please.

Receptionist: Okay, what’s the name?

Me: Adlai Dwight.

Receptionist: Sorry?

Me: Adlai.  Dwight.

Receptionist: What’s the surname?

Me: Dwight.  D-w-i-g-h-t.

Receptionist: Oh, right, that’s the first name.  What’s the surname?

Me: No, that’s the surname.

Receptionist: Oh, okay.  What’s the first name?

Me: Adlai.

Receptionist: Adelaide?

Me (banging head on kitchen table):  Adlai.  A-d-l…

11 responses to “Telephonic Frustration”

1. Philip Evans says:

Just wait til he gets to school…..

2. Sara says:

It could be worse, dearheart. In southeastern North Carolina, when names aren’t understood or easily pronounced, we simply assign a really cool nickname for school. Like Booger. 😉

3. GreatSmitten says:

Sara – Or Poochie. Or Big Dookie. Or Cheese. (Any of these ringing a bell?)

Also, please always call me dearheart. I miss that.

4. Courtney says:

Ahahaha!! That is hilarious Faith!! I totally forgot about all of those awful nicknames….I mean, really?! Seriously?!! Who does that?!!! They will just have to accept that his name is different and awesome.

5. Sara says:

The really sad thing is – these endearing little monikers are almost unceasingly EARNED. How frightening is that? Poochie, I can live with. Even Booger. But Big Dookie? Cheese? One shudders to think.

6. Sara says:

And as an aside, dearheart – I feel your pain. My son is Carter Roberts. First name Carter, last name Roberts. But we get Robert Carter, Conner Roberts, and many other variations. And God bless his little heart, even though he’s almost 7 years old and more articulate than he has any right to be, he has quite a lisp, so when he tells people his name it sounds like Cah-tah (with enunciation). And people automatically factor in the accent quotient and, well…..you get the idea! Such experiences will give our kids character – that’s what I say.

7. MongoliaMan says:

love it…

8. Greggan says:

I feel your tots pain. A lady called me yesterday from a dr.’s office and asked to speak with “Mr. Greggan Huff” I said “this is she”. I always get the name confusion when I call to make an appointment.. I’ll say “yes my name is Greggan..” and they always say “no, what is your FIRST name?”

9. Helen says:

I’m sure I’ve told you about the time the Dr called for ‘Lily Allen’ and when I corrected him he said ‘oh yes, that’s right Lily Allen is that man that dresses like a lady!’

10. starzyia says:

you couldn’t have been more clear… alas, she couldn’t have been more dim. (oooh look at me, assuming the receptionist is female, that’s a no-no)

Adlai is a beautiful name.

11. Kj says:

At least they didn’t try and correct you. I’ve lost count of the number of times someone has asked for Elisha’s name and then said ‘do you mean Alicia?’

Even when I registered her birth they told me I’d spelled it wrong.

No, I really did give my daughter a Hebrew boys name. Deal with it.