How to Rope an Englishman: Part Sept

July 2, 2012

Part Sept: Hurry Up and Wait

Haven’t read the beginning of this story?  You’re going to want to do that first.

Hey girls, want to know how to scare a man off?

Tell him God said you two are supposed to get married.

You’ll be pleased to know I didn’t tell Simon about the voice-but-not-a-voice.  Because as clear as I knew I’d heard God speak, I also knew that it was only for me to know.

So I waited, quietly.

You might think it’d be easier, the waiting, when you know what you’re waiting for.  But I’m not so sure.

Simon and I continued to spend just about every waking minute together. He invited me to hear his friend’s really bad metal band one night at a club in town.  I went with him, and laughed when he said how the guy was known for being the “fastest guitar player we know, but not the best.”

On the walk home, he made me laugh again, and without thinking, I grabbed his hand.

“Oh gosh,” I said, when I realized what I’d done. “We have to talk about this.”

He looked scared.

“Tomorrow?” I asked.

“Yes,” he answered. “Tomorrow.”

The very bench.

The next day, I met him halfway between our houses, and we walked together to a bench on a cliff.  The sun was bright, and we could see tiny surfers in the North Sea.

I turned to face him, and he took my hand. “You go first.”

“Right,” I answered.  “Here’s the thing….”

And I told him how I liked him.  I said some other stuff too, that I can’t really remember. I probably gave him too much information about my past and my heart, because I’m prone to do that.

He listened quietly, and then he said, “I like you too.  So much.  But I just can’t see how it’s going to work.  I live in England, and you live in America.  It’s ridiculous.”

He went on: “And I can’t see how I’m any good for you, how I’d be any help to you, spiritually.  I think you’ve got a lot more figured out than I do.”

I wanted to laugh, and maybe I did.  Because I had nothing figured out, except that God loved me, and that He’d brought me to one of the most beautiful places on earth, and that He’d somehow forgiven me for all the stupid stuff I’d done – the stuff I was struggling to forgive myself for.  And also that He’d led me to this boy – this man – who said things to me about life and God and art and music that I couldn’t have even scripted.  Things that made so much sense to me, that my whole self agreed with.

“I think you’re wrong,” I said.  “But here’s what I think we do.  We’re here now.  And we feel this way about each other.  So let’s enjoy it.  Let’s hang out and have fun, and not worry about what happens in December.  We’ll figure that part out when we get to it.  Because if it all works out – you know, the future – then that’s awesome. But if it doesn’t, then we’ll have this to look back on.  This beautiful memory of us in England in the autumn.”

The rest of the semester went by like a dream – a really, really good dream.

There were bad times, too, like the time he told me he hoped we’d always be friends: “You know, like, maybe I could come visit you and your husband in North Carolina one day.”

But most of it was good.  We went to hear a lot of bands. He introduced me to Kings of Convenience and Crowded House, and I introduced him to Nickel Creek and Alison Krauss.  We drank a lot of pints of beer and glasses of wine at The Cask Inn, and when we’d walk home in the freezing cold, he’d grab my hand and said, “Come into my pocket.”

I could tell there were days when he let himself go a bit, let himself start to see what the future could look like.

And on the days when he wouldn’t, I’d go to my journal and pour out all my hopes and my fears to my Father.  Then I’d turn the page again, and read the words He’d spoken.

25 responses to “How to Rope an Englishman: Part Sept”

1. ronnie says:

yay! i can’t wait to read the rest. i love this story. xo

2. Viki says:

Ahhhh…phew! It’s almost like I was holding my breath waiting for the next installment, hoping it would go well. As I read the story, I sometimes (try to) forget I know the happy ending. Just beautiful.

3. Courtney says:

Oh..I hope they fall in love. I hope they make it work out. I’m at the edge of my seat!!

4. Nikki Sha says:

I just came across your blog, and after reading this series I am ADDICTED! So excited to read the next post!

5. khansword says:

Just like the above commentor, I also accidentally came onto this blog and fell in love with your love story. Can’t wait to read the rest ! 🙂

6. Aahhh, when’s the next part coming out?! You’ve got me hooked! Cute little story; I was supposed to be at the gym by now to meet a friend, up until I came across your blog! :o)

7. Golden Press says:

A great story. I almost cried when you said you were waiting for him to realize he loved you too. So romantic.

8. this is so good it makes me want to cuss.

9. titawrites says:

I stumbled onto your blog and your love story. So sweet. I’m captivated by your story and your writing. I can’t wait for the next installment!

10. jamielynne82 says:

Man! I wish I would have found this story when it was all done, now I have to wait! Really enjoying it though!

11. Love it how God was leading you! It gives me hope!!

12. hey God brought me and my Simon together too. God is a top bloke.

13. misslavallee says:

I was randomly flipping through blogs when I came across yours. I will be heading to England in the fall to teach. Your story is so cute (and a little too close to my dreams coming true); I can’t wait to read the rest of it!

14. loving your story…thanks for sharing!

15. Hop Dad says:

What a lovely story!

16. Rebecca says:

Awww…sooo sweet. I just read the whole story start to finish. I don’t subscribe to your blog because I already read so many blogs and I cannot keep up. So what I do is follow people on Twitter and I can keep up with interesting posts that way. 🙂

I met a guy from Zambia, Africa (an Afrikaan). We were introduced by mutual friends and my brother just a few months ago. Annnnd, I’m going to visit him for a month in August. (squeal!!!!!!!!!) And yes, it seems just as crazy as you ending up in England but seriously, if it’s God’s working — it will be OKAY. 🙂

And, he visits England, too, on holiday — so it’ll be okay. 🙂

17. Shandrea says:

I love this!! You have a knack for storytelling:)

18. elsethenomad says:

Thank you so much for sharing all of this. I feel like I’m reading my story! I really appreciate this and adore your innocent heart for God and His plans for you in these words.

19. beautifully written! i can relate- i’ve spent one of the best summers of my life with a very special danish boy- our conversation was very similar to yours- we liked eachother very much, but were worried about the distance. nevertheless we carried on going with the flow. unfortunately, we are not together anymore, but i will always have that summer saved in my memory.

20. I definitely want to come back again and read the next post. Thank you for the treat!

21. brittany says:

AHHHH!! You can’t do this to me! I am on the edge of my seat and it took me all of 10 minutes of searching to realize that you haven’t finished the story yet LOL! I can’t wait to finish reading it. It’s really great so far!

22. Susan Jenkins says:

Oh my goodness, Faith! What a gift has been given to you by God. This is so good that to should be publishes! Anxiously awaiting I shall be for the next segment. The best part is that I am aquatinted with the author.
    Susan Jenkins, North Carolin

23. Susan Jenkins says:

Spelling corrections :

…….. It should be published
    ………acquainted
    North Carolina

24. Alissa says:

I must have the rest of the story! Please continue 🙂