When Manna is a Plane Ticket

August 24, 2012

My cute parents

In a little less than a month, Simon, Adlai and I will make the long journey to North Carolina.  To say I’m excited is the understatement of the century.

A few weeks ago, when we began to look at flights, I got overwhelmed at the price of the tickets.

We had some money in our savings account, but we’ve been patiently storing it away for the last three years, in hopes that it will one day make up part of the down payment on the first house we own.

Simon was out with some friends one night, and I was looking at flights, on the verge of tears.  I emailed a few close girlfriends who always pray faithfully for me.  Then I got in bed, turned the lights off, and talked to God.

I asked Him for cheap flights.  I asked Him for miraculous money.  I asked Him for provision.

And then I heard His reply:  “I have already provided for you.  You have what you need.  And when the day comes that you need more, I will provide for that too.”

I told Simon the next morning, and we used half our savings to buy our tickets.

This past Sunday, my friend Wendy spoke at church about how we know God is good.  One of the things she talked about was how God provides for us.  She told the story from Exodus, of how God provided manna for the Israelites as they wandered in the desert.  His instructions to them were simple: to gather every morning as much as they needed for one day.

And still, many of them hoarded the manna away out of panic, fear, distrust.  And every morning, whatever they had hoarded was moldy.  But there was new, fresh manna on the ground.  Always.  Just like He said.

I nudged Simon. “This is like the flights,” I whispered.

Sometimes wisdom with money looks like saving, not spending, so that you sacrifice something small now for something bigger in the future.

But sometimes it looks like letting go in obedience.  Like using what He has provided for you to buy a ticket to take your child to see his grandparents.  Like knowing that you are a child of the King, that He has provided for this today, and He will provide again tomorrow.  Always.  Just like He said.

21 responses to “When Manna is a Plane Ticket”

1. Rin says:

This is do helpful. Sometimes I worry that we don’t have more in savings but you’re right, God gives us what we need when we need it.

2. Awesome, awesome post. Thanks for being so honest.

3. Thank you for the reminder of a faithful God who provides! Enjoy your trip back to the states.

4. ~~~S Wave~~~ says:

Have a great trip! They are going to be so happy to see you all. 🙂

5. whitney says:

Beautiful sentiment, and an important one I find hard to remember/obey. Safe travels — hope you get your fill of Krispy Kremes and Target while you’re here.

6. I’m really glad for you. I remember that you said in an earlier post how much you missed home, so have a wonderful time! 🙂

7. Sarah says:

so, so good.

8. robfreund says:

Thank you for sharing – I needed to hear this!

9. Jemma J says:

Glad you listened Faith, He will provide. Have a wonderful trip, just what is needed.

10. Andrea Kelly says:

Love love love this post. I hope you all have a wonderful trip!

11. Sherri Phengchard says:

This made me cry cuz it’s something God wanted to remind me about today. Thanks for allowing Him to use you to speak to me. He is so sweet to take care of us.

12. dizzywestsidegirl says:

Needed to reminded of His provision this morning. Thank you.

13. You have an amazing gift for reminding me of what I should have learned by now. Love your blog. Thank you for always sharing.

14. Lilian says:

Well, now I’m going to go and spend all our savings! Not really! 🙂 But is is something I’ve been thinking about. We, too, have been saving for years for a house deposit, but we don’t even know if we’ll ever buy a house – do we even need to? And if not, maybe we should spend the money on living, and doing things for other people rather than sitting and waiting for something we don’t necessarily want or need. Anyway, hope you have a lovely time with your folks.

15. Amanda says:

Love this. It’s something I think is so important to abide by. When I get away from thinking of it as “my money” and more in terms of “money I am lucky enough to have,” I do not feel a need. He provides for me and I know I am well taken care of. Thanks for posting! 🙂

16. Love this post. So true. Also, SO ADORABLE that you seem to be a perfect combination, looks-wise, of both your cute parents. 🙂

17. fear is the bane of humanity I guess, it has been creeping over me every single morning, I hate to think how that fear of the ever demanding presence of money (and the lack of it) controls my life and the loved ones around me… even when we are sitting in the church on sundays. Enjoy every moment with your parents, those moments I know money can’t buy, though the money have bought you the tickets (in a sense) 😉

18. Sarah says:

This is so beautiful and so true. So many times we hoard away, fortifying ourselves against God’s unfaithfulness, which generally robs us of the opportunity to see His faithfulness.

• Faith says:

I love the way you put that, Sarah. “Fortifying ourselves against God’s unfaithfulness…” Powerful because God’s unfaithfulness is not a thing!

19. Julia Butler says:

Faith, your faith is so impressive. I am sure your mom will be so thankful for that manna. I hope to see you when you are here.

20. mrcrish_cjr says:

Your blog is awesome – so I nominated you for the “Super-Sweet Blogging” Award. Check out the link here: http://christopherribeiro.wordpress.com/2012/10/01/super-sweet-blogging-award/.